Work with the Research team at Liverpool University Hospitals

Please contact us early with your research ideas. We are keen to support and can save you much time and hassle by talking through the process and requirements.

If your project is research, firstly you need to register your study with the Trust.

External research and studies

If you are intending to be a site for research which is planned and sponsored by another institution, the Joint Research Service will contact you to complete confirmation of capacity and capability checks prior to giving you the green light to start your study.

If you are a collaborator on a study that is externally sponsored, please email: - the team will assist you with costing of the project.

Internal research and studies

If you are wishing to undertake your own research, firstly you need to identify a sponsor (this is for governance of the study not funding). Your substantive employer will usually be your sponsor but this is not automatic and it is necessary to apply to have your study approved.

For advice with this and to register your study, please email: There are links below for template documents that you should use. The Trust also has templates for protocols and files.

Secondly you will need to ensure the study is adequately funded. Please email: at least 6 weeks prior to any grant application being made to ensure there is sufficient time to provide Trust sign off.

PLEASE NOTE:  It is a disciplinary offence to describe the Trust as a sponsor in a funding body application without prior Trust permission to do so.

Link to


Standard PIS&C Templates

IRAS link

HRA link

HRA Document on Research Versus Audit