It's Deaf Awareness Week, and our Audiology teams wanted to provide colleagues with some tips on how to best communicate with deaf and hard of hearing patients whilst lip reading has been impacted by the use of masks during COVID-19.
- Face the person while you are speaking, don’t turn away
- Repeat yourself if necessary, never say "It doesn’t matter"
- If the person doesn’t understand you, don’t give up! Write it down or draw a picture
- Speak one at a time, don’t talk over each other
- Don’t speak too quickly or too slowly.